How to Communicate Clearly When You're Not Face-to-Face
Communicating clearly and effectively can be challenging, especially when you're not face-to-face with the person you're communicating with. Whether you're working remotely, communicating via email, or using a messaging app, it's essential to be mindful of the limitations and challenges of nonverbal communication. Here are a few tips for how to communicate clearly when you're not face-to-face:
- Use clear and concise language. When communicating remotely, you must be as clear and straightforward as possible. Avoid using "tech talk," jargon, acronyms, or technical terms your audience may not understand. Instead, use simple and clear language to convey your message effectively.
- Use formatting and bullet points to make your message easy to read. When you're communicating via text, it can be easy for your message to get lost in a sea of words. Use formatting and bullet points to break up your message and make it easier to read and understand.
- Use emojis and other nonverbal cues to convey tone and emotion. When you're not face-to-face with someone, it can be harder to convey tone and emotion through your words alone. If your company allows it, you can use emojis and other nonverbal cues, such as exclamation points and capital letters, to help convey your tone and emotion.
- Use video or audio communication when possible. While text-based communication can be efficient, it can also be lacking in nonverbal cues. Use video or audio communication to help convey your message more effectively when feasible.
- Seek feedback and be open to improvement. Be bold and ask for feedback on your communication skills, and be open to learning and improving. This can help you identify growth areas and continue developing your communication skills over time.
By following these tips, you can improve your ability to communicate clearly and effectively when you're not face-to-face with the person you're communicating with. Whether you're working remotely or communicating via text, these strategies can help you build stronger relationships and achieve success in any professional setting.
If you want to learn more about communicating effectively when you are not face-to-face consider one of our communication skills workshops.